Saturday, May 30, 2009

iTrip Nano - Griffin Technology

What fun would an iPod be without the portability? You like to take it in the car, to the gym, your friends house, etc. In-car hardwired solutions sound fabulous, but they don't offer the ability to broadcast your iPod to any FM stereo.

Griffin Technology is the first company that comes to mind when I think of iPod accessories. My first Griffin product was the iTrip. I purchased it when I bought my first iPod in 2005. The iTrip fit on the top of the ipod and looked very cool. After Apple introduced the iPod Nano, they had to design a new interface that would accommodate the Nano's ports and keep the slim look of the Nano without making it too bulky. Their solution is the iTrip Nano: A sleek FM transmitter that matches your iPod.

Depending on your geographic area, your reception quality will vary. I have found that if you choose a frequency in the middle of the FM spectrum (95-102 range), you receive higher quality sound. However, if you live in an urban area, these stations will most certainly be in use, and you may find yourself fighting to keep a strong signal, especially if it's a high powered radio station occupying that FM frequency. If you are in a rural area, the world is yours, since you probably have several stations to choose from, you will benefit the most.

Finally, to help provide the best signal, Griffin uses a 'Smart Sense' technology, which automatically adjusts the iPod's volume to achieve the best sound quality. I really like this feature. On my older iTrip, I am constantly fiddling with the volume to increase of decrease it to try and get a better sound out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment